background

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Scrapbooker's Book Purse


One of the members of my scrap booking guild has been asking me to teach a class on how to make a purse from a book. With Christmas approaching, I thought now would be the perfect time to try this project out. And if you know me, I love purses, Art Glitter and making gifts! I visited my thrift store and purchased some books for future book purses and figure I can make this project for $5.00 or less with careful shopping! I have also been admiring the rose purses on the market, but they are always so big and expensive. So, here is my take on the book purse.


I started by choosing a book, and I chose a scrap book. Now, this might seem to miss the whole book point, but I love a handbag with photos on the outside! And this scrap book from Target had an outside photo (around $15.00). I then Googled Book Purse tutorials and found at least five. My favorite was this one from Hungry Panda Clothing: http://www.hungrypanda.net/blog/2010/02/book-purse-tutorial/





I used her instructions for cutting out the insides, adding handles, and added a flap with my Art Glitter embellishment. The purse handles I purchased at Joann Fabrics with a coupon. I like a handbag that is pretty on both the frontand the back. To make the flower, I cut a strip of fabric an inch wide and ran a basting stitch down the center. Using the Art Glitter Dries Clear Fabric glue, I ran a bead on both raw edges of the strip. I added Art Glitter 79 Black Ultrafine Opaque Glitter and allowed it to dry. I then gathered the strip to form a ruffle. Starting in the center of a piece of felt, I hot glued the ruffle in a circle along the stitch line working in small portions at a time (about 1 “). I then hot glued this to my purse flap.


For the book lining piece, I needed access to swap out that photo. I like to change the photo my season. So, I got out my trusty Vogue sewing book and made myself a bound button hole. Yes, that tailoring class I took in my fashion design program helped, but a standard buttonhole stitch would work too! Because I wanted access to change that photo I varied from the instructions on the Hungry Panda by making my purse liner removable with hook and loop tape. And I chose not to make a hook and loop tape closure as I added the flap. Another fun idea, is to make different purse linings for this purse for each season. Because it is held in place with hook and loop tape you can swap it out. And if you need a gift idea for the next holiday, you’re all set! Mother’s and grandmothers are so hard to shop for, but mine love a hand made gift! I am also including a side view of the purse and a view of the purse with it wide open.



Supplies Used
Scrap book (Target)

Art Glitter Dries Clear Fabric Glue

Art Glitter 79 Black Ultrafine Opaque Glitter

Purse handles (JoAnn Fabrics)

Fabric

Hook and Loop Tape

Felt

Sewing machine

Thread

Exacto Knife

Scissors

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails